That feeling of fear of failure and making mistakes still haunts the best of us. Almost everyone is afraid of making mistakes as they feel awful about themselves if they make them. However, mistakes should be seen as blessings. Talk to any successful individual, he/she will say that wherever they are is because they learned from their mistakes and kept moving forward.
In other words, if you are able to recognize your mistakes and take the lesson from them and keep trying then you are headed towards growth. Having a growth mindset means a shift in the perspective by which you see the problem as an opportunity.
Students with this mindset also apply the concept of smart work in their lives and give appropriate priority needed to the tasks at hand. Often, they will not waste their time on something on which help can be taken and rather give their 100% to the task which will expand their skills. Such students would go on Thesis Rush and use their services to finish their degree and save their time in doing something that fosters their passion.
Such students also continuously look for ways to improve as they become progress-oriented. They believe that failures and mistakes are a normal part of their learning process, and that failure is a guide to succeeding through their ultimate goal.
Moreover, a mistake is just like a wound, and the way you treat a wound is similar to how students with a growth mindset see their mistakes.
Let’s discuss some ways they do so.
- Identification of the mistake- First and foremost, when it pains, you become aware of the wound on your body. Similarly, they will identify that they made a mistake that prevented them from accomplishing what they wanted to accomplish.
- Accepting the mistake- Knowing is never accomplished without acceptance. Accepting the mistake is the first step in the direction of making improvements. So, the next thing such students do is accept whatever mistake that they made.
- Analyzing- Accepting the mistake makes us climb to the next step of the growth mindset that is analyzing and discovering the cause of it. Also, it is necessary to reflect as to how the mistake can be overcome- whether it can be corrected on our own or it needs someone else’s guidance.
- Treatment- The next significant step is to bring the skills into play needed to prevent it from happening next time. All the above steps are no good if you miss out on this step.
- Creating the Action Plan- An important milestone on the road to the success of a growth mindset is to execute this step which will cease its travelers from making the same mistake again and again. The travelers of this road leave no stone unturned of giving their mind the exposure of lives of such personalities who have reached their destination by creating a comprehensive action plan of learning from their mistakes.
Now that we have covered how students with a growth mindset see their mistakes, the question that will arise is how to develop this growth mindset in students.
A major part of this development is overcoming any hurdle that may obstruct their path of progress. It is critical for them to understand that overcoming obstacles is actually a step forward and not a step back. Moreover, encouraging students to speak up if something is not working for them is also extremely important.
Trying, again and again, is the key to achieving an unaccomplished goal because a task that may seem difficult in the beginning will come out as an easier one at a later stage. This should also arise a thought-provoking question in our minds if the task was easier or the multiple attempts have made it possible to be achieved. This clarifies the vision, the road map, and the role of a growth mindset in achieving success.
Another important aspect is having self-belief in one’s own abilities and the strong willpower to make it happen. Thus, the concept of ‘YET’ must be inculcated in them so that whenever they feel stuck, they will remember that they can do this ‘yet’.
Talk to the students about the difference between having a growth mindset and having a fixed mindset. Explain to them the significance of understanding that failure is a part of the learning process. This is known as a productive failure, inculcating which will show substantial growth in their personality.
The famous saying- “Neurons that fire together, wire together.” is the next thing you have to follow by instilling in them that our brains can be rewired, that is, our thoughts and attitude create our future. No one is born excellent in any skill; it is with time and practice that they learn to excel in it. After all, it is persistence that will take them ahead in their journey.
We all seek appreciation, motivation, and encouragement that play an important role in uplifting our thought processes. It absolutely doesn’t matter if the things achieved are little or big, however, the sense of appreciation coming from you will make them climb the ladder of success smoothly.
In fact, even if they weren’t able to succeed, congratulate them on choosing something that they felt was difficult.
It is your attachment to your old habits which will prevent you from having a growth mindset as all human beings develop a psychological resistance to an unwanted change. When we are confronted with a change in our lifestyle, mindset, or be it anything, we go through a rollercoaster of emotions.
Also, changing mindset can be quite a difficult task. There will be times when you will question why you started and there will also be times when you will feel like giving up. But that’s where you have to be extra conscious and persistent.
Make plans as to how you will achieve having a growth mindset and work on it. Apply the above tips into your life, and live a life that supports a growth mindset.